Automotive Thermal Spray Coatings
Thermion supplies industry-leading and well-proven surface-enhancement engineering and technology to improve or restore the surface properties of new and used automobile components. From spraying zinc to protect welded seams from rusting to spraying shafts and cylinders for wear protection, automobiles have long since been a great candidate for metalizing with different application areas. Recently, automotive thermal spray coatings have been extremely beneficial in automotive restoration and the repair of used parts.
For example, Thermion’s zinc coating for the automotive industry can be used to fill in holes or pits and even recreate quarter panels that have significant areas missing due to rust. Thermal spray coatings are an effective way of enhancing material properties of engine parts to help increase wear and friction resistance, which improves the overall endurance and performance of these parts and the automobile.
Benefits of Automotive Thermal Spray Coatings
The following are some benefits of thermal spray coatings for automobiles and automobile parts:
- Prolongs the lifespan of automobile and engine parts
- Improves automobile and engine performance and efficiency
- Reduces friction, sliding, and wear rate
- Increases engine performance and service life
- Protects against corrosion and oxidation
- Helps reduce fuel and oil consumption
- Reduces heat transfer
- Reduces carbon emissions
- Improves fatigue strength
Common Equipment for the Automotive Industry
Thermion® Arc Spray Systems use twin-wire arc spray technology to apply thermal sprayed coatings. Our patented Arc Voltage Drive (AVD) automatically controls the motor speed to maintain a perfect arc gap which creates consistent high-density coatings. Arc spray uses two wires, which much more productive than other thermal spray processes (often twice or more than twice as productive). Arc spray also needs only dry compressed air and electricity, which makes it significantly more economical to operate than other costly thermal spray processes.
The following AVD series metalizing systems are ideal for use in the automotive industry:
- Precision Arc 3.2 – Economical and versatile anti-corrosion thermal spray system. Ideal for both onsite and field use when moderately high production rate and portability are required.
- Precision Arc 4.8 – Low energy, high deposition metalizing system that is recommended for both large onsite and field use when ultra-high production rate and portability are required.
- AVD 250 – Newest spray system in our AVD series. It was designed specifically as an economical solution for applications that call for lighter production needs. Intended for shops that metalize as a sideline business as well as startup operations.
- AVD 350 – Commonly used to spray engineered coatings as well as anti-corrosion and restoration applications. Ideal for normal production rates.
- AVD 450 – Designed for engineered coatings as well as anti-corrosion and restoration applications. Ideal for both moderate and high production rates.
- AVD 456HD – This machine includes our new high-density arc spray coating system, which is ideal for high production rates. Features include preset spring pressure, which allows continuous and precise pressure on the wires at all times and does not change when new wires are loaded.
Common Automotive Applications
Our automotive thermal spray coatings offer broad solutions for enhancing, protecting, and prolonging the lifespan of a wide range of automobile parts, including:
- Engine System
- Brake System
- Suspension Parts
- Steering Parts
- Body Panels and Molds
- Hydraulic Pistons
- Catalytic Converters
- Exhaust Muffler
- Cylinder Bores
Materials Used for Thermal Spray Coating
Thermion’s wire materials have a proven history of outstanding spray-ability and have been treated to enhance feed-ability and productivity. Some of the common thermal spray materials we provide to the automotive industry include:
- Aluminum– Extremely durable coating that provides total corrosion protection and significant life improvement over conventional barrier coatings
- Zinc – By providing a barrier coating protection to iron and steel, zinc thermal spray is a highly effective and proven method of corrosion and oxidation protection.
- Zinc/Aluminum – Anti-corrosive coating that offers the benefits of both materials. For example, the aluminum slows down the dissolution of zinc, which increases the duration of the protection.
- Steel – Produces a well-bonded coating that is excellent for wear-resistant, dimensional restoration, and machine element repair applications.
- Copper – Offers good resistance to corrosion and both mechanical and thermal shock.
- Stainless Steel – Enhances machinability and wear and corrosion resistance. Excellent for dimensional restoration and machine element repair applications.
- Cobalt – Provides superb resistance to chemical and mechanical degradation over a wide range of temperatures.
Thermion thermal spray for anti-slip and anti-skid applications are also available from SafTrax. Using our AVD series metalizing systems and the twin arc spray process, these thermal spray types can be applied to steel, aluminum, concrete, plastic, and other surface materials to provide continuous and safer non-slip surfaces. For more information on anti-slip and anti-skid thermal sprays from SafTrax, contact us at 877-895-5731.
Thermion® metalizing equipment is used worldwide to apply long life, cost-effective coatings used for anti-corrosion, anti-wear, anti-abrasion, repair, remanufacturing, and non-skid applications to name a few. Our founder, Frank Rogers, invented the first Thermion® spray system back in the 1980s and is still active in Thermion®. The first Thermion® metalizer systems included the patented Arc Shorting Control feature. Thermion® has since introduced its latest invention, Arc Voltage Drive. Thermion’s inventions for metalizing systems have improved the metalizing process in coating quality, productivity, portability, and adaptability for the industries and applications.
Today, Thermion® is recognized as producers of the most reliable high-production metalizing systems in the world. Whether you want to enhance engine material properties to improve performance and longevity or help fill and protect surface voids in an exterior panel, we have the thermal spray coatings for all your automotive applications.
Click here to submit a Request for Quote
or call us today at 877-884-3428