Wind Energy Thermal Spray Coatings
Thermal spray coatings from Thermion® are widely used in energy generation equipment in industries, including wind energy. Wind energy is a viable renewable energy source that uses large wind turbines, which turn wind energy into electricity using the aerodynamic force from rotor blades. Whether the wind turbine farms are land?based or offshore, wind-energy generation faces extremely harsh environmental conditions, including extreme temperatures, dust, atmospheric pollution, hail, and much more.
Our wind energy thermal sprays help ensure optimal operation of wind turbine components while protecting against daily environmental challenges such as corrosion, wear, high-temperature oxidation. Corrosion resistant coating for wind turbines are sprayed on both external and internal parts that provide a wide variety of benefits, including thermal management, sealing systems, abrasion reduction, vibration and sound absorption, and component repair. For example, advanced wind energy thermal spray coatings are applied to internal bolting fixtures and transmission components to provide enhanced protection against assembly damage and mechanical wear and tear. Also, our highly corrosion resistant alloy coatings protect the turbine blade components from costly damage due to erosion and environmental hazards, such as lightning, ice, UV rays, and rain.
We have over 30 years of experience in providing thermal spray solutions for the power generation industry, including wind energy. Our vast knowledge of material technologies and processes extend the life span of wind turbine and its various parts and components. We offer various wind energy thermal spray coatings that enhance component performance by improving material properties and protecting against corrosion, wear, high-temperature oxidation, and thermal pressure. These are also cost-effect preventative, protective, and restorative measures that decrease maintenance costs and lower replacement part costs.
Wind Energy Thermal Spray Benefits
The following are some benefits of thermal spray coatings for wind energy applications:
- Prolongs lifespan of wind turbine components and parts
- Improves wind turbine performance and efficiency
- Reduces friction, sliding, and wear rate
- Increases engine performance and service life
- Reduces maintenance and replacement part costs
- Protects against corrosion and thermal oxidation
- Decreases downtime and maintenance cycles
- Reduces heat transfer
- Improves fatigue strength
Common Wind Energy Industry Applications
Our automotive thermal spray coatings offer broad solutions for enhancing, protecting, and prolonging the lifespan of a wide range of automobile parts, including:
- Wind turbines
- Wind towers
- Flanged joints
- Bolting fixtures
- Rotor blades
- Access hatches
- Tower sections
- Hydraulic cylinders
- Main shaft
- Combustion baskets
- Bearings and bearing cages
- Transmission components
- Turbine buckets
- Turbine rotors
- Shroud tiles
Common Equipment For Wind Energy Industry
Thermion® Arc Spray Systems use twin-wire arc spray technology to apply thermal sprayed coatings for various applications in the steel fabrication industry. Our patented Arc Voltage Drive (AVD) automatically controls the motor speed to maintain a perfect arc gap which creates consistent high-density coatings. By using two wires, our arc spray technology is more productive (often twice or more than twice as productive) and economical than other thermal spray processes.
The following AVD series metalizing systems are ideal for use in the wind energy industry:
- Precision Arc 3.2 – Economical and versatile anti-corrosion thermal spray system. Ideal for both onsite and field use when moderately high production rate and portability are required.
- Precision Arc 4.8 – Low energy, high deposition metalizing system that is recommended for both large onsite and field use when ultra-high production rate and portability are required.
- AVD 250 – Newest spray system in our AVD series. It was designed specifically as an economical solution for applications that call for lighter production needs. Intended for shops that metalize as a sideline business as well as startup operations.
- AVD 350 – Commonly used for to spray engineered coatings as well as anti-corrosion and restoration applications. Ideal for normal production rates.
- AVD 450 – Designed for engineered coatings as well as anti-corrosion and restoration applications. Ideal for both moderate and high production rates.
- AVD 456HD – This machine includes our new high-density arc spray coating system, which is ideal for high production rates. Features include preset spring pressure, which allows a continuous and precise pressure on the wires at all times and does not change when new wires are loaded.
- AVD 150 – Compact thermal spray equipment ideal for automotive restoration, touch-up, and shop-work applications. Ideal for corrosion protection by applying a zinc coating for wind energy generation applications.
Materials Used For Thermal Spray Coating
Some of the common thermal spray materials we provide to the wind energy industry include:
- Aluminum– Extremely durable coating that provides total corrosion protection and significant life improvement over conventional barrier coatings.
- Zinc – By providing a barrier coating protection to iron and steel, zinc thermal spray is a highly effective and proven method of corrosion and oxidation protection.
- Zinc/Aluminum – Anti-corrosive coating that offers the benefits of both materials. For example, the aluminum slows down the dissolution of zinc, which increases the duration of the protection.
- Steel – Produces a well-bonded coating that is excellent for wear-resistant, dimensional restoration, and machine element repair applications.
- Copper – Offers good resistance to corrosion and both mechanical and thermal shock.
- Stainless Steel – Enhances machinability and wear and corrosion resistance. Excellent for dimensional restoration and machine element repair applications.
- Cobalt – Provides superb resistance to chemical and mechanical degradation over a wide range of temperatures.
Thermion thermal spray for anti-slip and anti-skid applications are also available from SafTrax. Using our AVD series metalizing systems, these thermal spray types can be applied to surface materials to provide continuous and safer non-slip surfaces. Wind turbine anti-slip coatings reduce injuries and drastically increase traction and overall safety. For more information on anti-slip and anti-skid thermal sprays from SafTrax, contact us at 877-895-5731.
Thermion® metalizing equipment is used worldwide to apply long life, cost-effective coatings used for anti?corrosion, anti-wear, anti-abrasion, repair, remanufacturing, and non-skid applications to name a few. Our founder, Frank Rogers, invented the first Thermion® spray system back in the 1980s and is still active in Thermion®. The first Thermion® metalizer systems included the patented Arc Shorting Control feature, and we have since introduced its latest invention, Arc Voltage Drive.
Click here to submit a Request for Quote
or call us today at 877-884-3428