Thermal Spray Power Generation
Thermion® thermal spray helps the equipment used in the power generation industry to withstand the constant challenges required to reliably provide energy to customers. Our power plant corrosion-resistant coating helps protect the vital machinery, equipment, and systems to prevent service outages and costly downtime for repairs. Power generation plants consistently endure tremendous pressure and high temperatures in both harsh operation and severe environmental conditions. Our broad range of thermal sprays protects mission-critical components from wear, abrasion, erosion, and cavitation in most-demanding power-generating applications.
We have over 30 years of experience in providing thermal spray solutions for the power generation industry. Our vast knowledge of material technologies and processes extend the life span of power generation plant machinery, such as gas and steam turbines, generators, and boilers. We offer various power generation thermal spray coatings that enhance component performance by improving material properties and protecting against corrosion, wear, high-temperature oxidation, and thermal pressure. These are also cost-effect preventative, protective, and restorative measures that decrease maintenance costs and lower replacement part costs.
If repair is necessary, our thermal spray for power generation is an effective way to rebuild worn parts for quick turnaround and shorter repair cycles for additional cost savings. All these benefits reduce maintenance and service downtime to ensure your power generation plant is running at optimal efficiency to provide the expected power to your customers.
Power Generation Thermal Spray Benefits
The following are some benefits of thermal spray coatings for power generation applications:
- Prolongs lifespan of power generation machinery components and parts
- Improves the performance and efficiency of power generation plants
- Provides a protective barrier for added erosion, abrasion, and cavitation resistance
- Increases component and part performance and service life
- Protects against corrosion and high-temperature oxidation
- Reduces maintenance costs and repair cycles
- Minimizes heat transfer and effects of thermal expansion
- Reduces carbon emissions
- Improves fatigue strength
- Reduces friction, sliding, and wear rate
Common Power Generation Industry Applications
Our automotive thermal spray coatings offer broad solutions for enhancing, protecting, and prolonging the lifespan of a wide range of power plant machinery, components, and parts, including:
- Gas turbines
- Steam turbines
- Boiler components
- Heat shields
- Turbine blades
- Fuel cells
- Compressor components
Common Equipment For Power Generation Industry
Thermion® Arc Spray Systems use twin-wire arc spray technology to apply thermal sprayed coatings. Our patented Arc Voltage Drive (AVD) automatically controls the motor speed to maintain a perfect arc gap, which creates consistent high-density coatings. Arc spray uses two wires and only needs dry compressed air and electricity. This which much more productive and economical than other thermal spray processes (often twice or more than twice as productive).
The following AVD series metalizing systems are ideal for use in the power generation industry:
- Precision Arc 3.2 – Economical and versatile anti-corrosion thermal spray system. Ideal for both onsite and field use when moderately high production rate and portability are required.
- Precision Arc 4.8 – Low energy, high deposition metalizing system that is recommended for both large onsite and field use when ultra-high production rate and portability are required.
- AVD 250 – Newest spray system in our AVD series. It was designed specifically as an economical solution for applications that call for lighter production needs. Intended for shops that metalize as a sideline business as well as startup operations.
- AVD 350 – Commonly used for to spray engineered coatings as well as anti-corrosion and restoration applications. Ideal for normal production rates.
- AVD 450 – Designed for engineered coatings as well as anti-corrosion and restoration applications. Ideal for both moderate and high production rates.
- AVD 456HD – This machine includes our new high-density arc spray coating system, which is ideal for high production rates. Features include preset spring pressure, which allows a continuous and precise pressure on the wires at all times and does not change when new wires are loaded.
Materials Used For Thermal Spray Coating
Thermion’s wire materials have a proven history of outstanding spray-ability and have been treated to enhance feed-ability and productivity. Some of the common thermal spray materials we provide to the automotive industry include:
- Aluminum – Extremely durable coating that provides total corrosion protection and significant life improvement over conventional barrier coatings.
- Zinc – By providing a barrier coating protection to iron and steel, zinc thermal spray is a highly effective and proven method of corrosion and oxidation protection.
- Zinc/Aluminum – Anti-corrosive coating that offers the benefits of both materials. For example, the aluminum slows down the dissolution of zinc, which increases the duration of the protection.
- Steel – Produces a well-bonded coating that is excellent for wear-resistant, dimensional restoration, and machine element repair applications.
- Copper – Offers good resistance to corrosion and both mechanical and thermal shock.
- Stainless Steel – Enhances machinability and wear and corrosion resistance. Excellent for dimensional restoration and machine element repair applications.
- Cobalt – Provides superb resistance to chemical and mechanical degradation over a wide range of temperatures.
Thermion thermal spray for anti-slip and anti-skid applications are also available from SafTrax. Using our AVD series metalizing systems and the twin arc spray process, these thermal spray types can be applied to steel, aluminum, concrete, plastic, and other surface materials to provide continuous and safer non-slip surfaces at your power plant. For more information on anti-slip and anti-skid thermal sprays from SafTrax.
Thermion® metalizing equipment is used worldwide to apply long life, cost-effective coatings used for anti?corrosion, anti-wear, anti-abrasion, repair, remanufacturing, and non-skid applications to name a few. Our inventions for metalizing systems have improved the metalizing process in coating quality, productivity, portability, and adaptability for the industries and applications. Today, Thermion® is recognized as producers of the most reliable high-production metalizing systems in the world. Whether you want to enhance material properties to improve performance and longevity or protect gas turbines from corrosion and wear, we have the thermal spray coatings for all your power generation applications.
Click here to submit a Request for Quote
or call us today at 877-884-3428