Thermal Spray Coatings for Oil & Gas
Thermion® petrochemical thermal spray uses well-proven surface-enhancement engineering and technology to protect the elaborate and expensive equipment used in the oil and gas industry. Drilling, production, refinery, and transportation equipment are exposed to extremely severe environments and harsh operating conditions. They must be protected against deleterious chemical reactions and regents and harmful processes and material fluids that are detrimental to the surface of the equipment and their parts and components. Whether it is upstream, midstream, or downstream operations, mission-critical equipment must be also be protected wear, abrasion, erosion, and cavitation to enhance the life span and prevent asset degradation.
Using a thermal spray for the oil and gas industry will not only substantially increase the life expectancy of valuable assets, but it will also optimize part and system efficiency, decrease maintenance cycles and downtime, and reduce both maintenance and production costs. For example, Thermion’s petrochemical thermal spray forms a protective barrier between the metal surface and various processes and material flow in pipes to completely block corrosive fluids and minimize cavitation and pipe erosion. Also, our thermal spray coatings enhance erosion, abrasion, and wear resistance to extend the life span of critical components for conveyors, mud pumps, mandrels, and more. Overall, thermal spray coatings are an effective and cheap way of enhancing material properties of equipment components and parts to improve their efficiency, durability, and performance.
Oil & Gas Thermal Spray Benefits
The following are some benefits of thermal spray coatings for oil and gas applications:
- Prolongs lifespan of critical equipment and their components and parts
- Improves equipment performance and efficiency
- Reduces friction, sliding, and wear rate
- Increases equipment performance and service life
- Protects against corrosion and oxidation
- Helps reduce maintenance cycles and costs
- Reduces heat transfer
- Improves fatigue strength
- Protects against cavitation
Common Oil & Gas Industry Applications
Our petrochemical thermal spray coatings offer broad solutions for enhancing, protecting, and prolonging the lifespan of a wide range of oil and gas equipment applications, including:
- Turbine components
- Compressor components
- Mandrel components
- Mud pump components
- Hydraulic rods
- Shaft sleeves
- Valve stems
- Pump housing and components
- Conveyor components
Common Equipment For Oil & Gas Industry
Thermion® Arc Spray Systems use twin-wire arc spray technology to apply thermal sprayed coatings. Our patented Arc Voltage Drive (AVD) automatically controls the motor speed to maintain a perfect arc gap which creates consistent high-density coatings. Arc spray uses two wires, which is more productive than other thermal spray processes (often twice or more than twice as productive). Arc spray also needs only dry compressed air and electricity, which makes it significantly more economical to operate.
The following AVD series metalizing systems are ideal for use in the oil and gas industry:
- Precision Arc 3.2 – Economical and versatile anti-corrosion thermal spray system. Ideal for both onsite and field use when moderately high production rate and portability are required.
- Precision Arc 4.8 – Low energy, high deposition metalizing system that is recommended for both large onsite and field use when ultra-high production rate and portability are required.
- AVD 250 – Newest spray system in our AVD series. It was designed specifically as an economical solution for applications that call for lighter production needs. Intended for shops that metalize as a sideline business as well as startup operations.
- AVD 350 – Commonly used to spray engineered coatings as well as anti-corrosion and restoration applications. Ideal for normal production rates.
- AVD 450 – Designed for engineered coatings as well as anti-corrosion and restoration applications. Ideal for both moderate and high production rates.
- AVD 456HD – This machine includes our new high-density arc spray coating system, which is ideal for high production rates. Features include preset spring pressure, which allows a continuous and precise pressure on the wires at all times and does not change when new wires are loaded.
- AVD 150 – Compact thermal spray equipment ideal for equipment and component restoration, touch-up, and shop-work applications. Ideal for corrosion protection by applying a zinc coating for petrochemical applications.
Materials Used For Thermal Spray Coating
Thermion’s wire materials have a proven history of providing lasting solutions for corrosion, erosion, abrasion, and wear problems. Some of the performance-enhancing thermal spray materials we provide to the oil and gas industry include:
- Aluminum– Extremely durable coating that provides corrosion protection and significant life improvement over conventional barriers and coatings.
- Zinc – By providing a barrier coating protection to iron and steel, zinc thermal spray is a highly effective and proven method of corrosion and oxidation protection.
- Zinc/Aluminum – Anti-corrosive coating that offers the benefits of both materials. For example, the aluminum slows down the dissolution of zinc, which increases the duration of the protection.
- Steel – Produces a well-bonded coating that is excellent for wear-resistant, dimensional restoration, and machine element repair applications.
- Copper – Offers good resistance to corrosion and both mechanical and thermal shock.
- Stainless Steel – Enhances machinability and wear and corrosion resistance. Excellent for dimensional restoration and machine element repair applications.
- Cobalt – Provides superb resistance to chemical and mechanical degradation over a wide range of temperatures.
Thermion thermal spray for anti-slip and anti-skid applications are also available from SafTrax. Using our AVD series metalizing systems and the twin arc spray process, these thermal spray types can be applied to steel, aluminum, concrete, plastic, and other surface materials to provide continuous and safer non-slip surfaces in marine environments. For more information on anti-slip and anti-skid thermal sprays from SafTrax, contact us at 877-895-5731.
Thermion® metalizing equipment is used worldwide to apply long life, cost-effective coatings used for anti?corrosion, anti-wear, anti-abrasion, repair, remanufacturing, and non-skid applications to name a few. Our founder, Frank Rogers, invented the first Thermion® spray system back in the 1980s and is still active in Thermion®. The first Thermion® metalizer systems included the patented Arc Shorting Control feature, and we have since introduced its latest invention, Arc Voltage Drive.
Click here to submit a Request for Quote
or call us today at 877-884-3428