Industrial Steel Fabrication Thermal Spray Coatings
At Thermion®, we have been providing advanced thermal spray coatings for steel processing for the optimization of productivity and operating life for over 30 years. Our steel fabrication thermal spray coatings dramatically extend the lifecycle of mechanical components by combatting heavy wear and corrosion rates. These exceptionally resilient surface coatings also help increase product quality and consistency, reduce production downtime, and improve sustainability across a variety of steel manufacturing and processing techniques and applications.
Machinery and heavy equipment used in the steel fabrication process must endure extremely harsh operating conditions, including extremely high temperatures and pressure. Using our steel fabrication thermal spray solutions provide protection and mitigate damage due to wear, erosion, corrosion, and high temperature. Also, our advanced surface coatings can be used for dimensional restoration and part reclamation so you can repair and reuse existing equipment instead of replacing it. Finally, our specialized thermal spray coatings for steel processing, such as zinc and zinc-aluminum, can be used on the end products to improve material properties, including corrosion and wear resistance.
Benefits for the Industrial Steel Fabrication Industry
Our steel processing spray coatings enhance equipment components used in steel processing and production to create efficiencies by extending component life, decreasing cycle times, reducing scrap, and decreasing equipment downtime and maintenance. Our cost-effective surface coatings provide the following benefits:
- Abrasion resistance
- Wear protection
- Corrosion and chemical resistance
- Increased surface hardness
- Low friction
- Thermal barrier for heat resistance
- Non-wetting and non-stick
- Friction reduction
- Oxidation resistance
- Part restoration and reclamation
- Thermal Conductivity
- Permanent dry lubrication
- Acid and alkali resistance
Common Industrial Steel Fabrication Applications
We offer a wide variety of other wear and corrosion resistant coatings to protect components and surfaces in every part of the steel mill:
- Mill rolls
- Furnace rolls
- Pump augers
- Hydraulic cylinders
- Hydraulic pistons
- Hydraulic rams
- Guides and pins
- Babbitt bearings
- Shaft and shaft sleeves
- Case and wear rings
- Seal diaphragms
Common Equipment For The Industrial Steel Fabrication
Thermion® Arc Spray Systems use twin-wire arc spray technology to apply thermal sprayed coatings for various applications in the steel fabrication industry. Our patented Arc Voltage Drive (AVD) automatically controls the motor speed to maintain a perfect arc gap which creates consistent high-density coatings. By using two wires, our arc spray technology is more productive (often twice or more than twice as productive) and economical than other thermal spray processes.
The following AVD series metalizing systems are ideal for use in the steel fabrication industry:
- Precision Arc 3.2 – Economical and versatile anti-corrosion thermal spray system. Ideal for both onsite and field use when moderately high production rate and portability are required.
- Precision Arc 4.8 – Low energy, high deposition metalizing system that is recommended for both large onsite and field use when ultra-high production rate and portability are required.
- AVD 250 – Newest spray system in our AVD series. It was designed specifically as an economical solution for applications that call for lighter production needs. Intended for shops that metalize as a sideline business as well as startup operations.
- AVD 350 – Commonly used for to spray engineered coatings as well as anti-corrosion and restoration applications. Ideal for normal production rates.
- AVD 450 – Designed for engineered coatings as well as anti-corrosion and restoration applications. Ideal for both moderate and high production rates.
- AVD 456HD – This machine includes our new high-density arc spray coating system, which is ideal for high production rates. Features include preset spring pressure, which allows a continuous and precise pressure on the wires at all times and does not change when new wires are loaded.
Materials Used For Thermal Spray Coating
Some of the common thermal spray materials we provide to the steel fabrication industry include:
- Aluminum– Extremely durable coating that provides total corrosion protection and significant life improvement over conventional barrier coatings.
- Zinc – By providing a barrier coating protection to iron and steel, zinc thermal spray is a highly effective and proven method of corrosion and oxidation protection.
- Zinc/Aluminum – Anti-corrosive coating that offers the benefits of both materials. For example, the aluminum slows down the dissolution of zinc, which increases the duration of the protection.
- Steel – Produces a well-bonded coating that is excellent for wear-resistant, dimensional restoration, and machine element repair applications.
- Copper – Offers good resistance to corrosion and both mechanical and thermal shock.
- Stainless Steel – Enhances machinability and wear and corrosion resistance. Excellent for dimensional restoration and machine element repair applications.
- Cobalt – Provides superb resistance to chemical and mechanical degradation over a wide range of temperatures.
Thermion thermal spray for anti-slip and anti-skid applications are also available from SafTrax. Using our AVD series metalizing systems and the twin arc spray process, these thermal spray types provide enhanced traction for superior non-skid and non-slip surfaces in your steel mill. For more information on anti-slip and anti-skid thermal sprays from SafTrax, contact us at 877-895-5731.
Thermion® metalizing equipment is used worldwide to apply long life, cost-effective coatings used for anti?corrosion, anti-wear, anti-abrasion, repair, remanufacturing, and non-skid applications to name a few. Our founder, Frank Rogers, invented the first Thermion® spray system back in the 1980s and is still active with the company. The first Thermion® metalizer systems included the patented Arc Shorting Control feature. We have since introduced our latest invention, Arc Voltage Drive.
Our inventions for metalizing systems have improved the metalizing process in coating quality, productivity, portability, and adaptability for a wide range of industries and applications. Today, Thermion® is recognized as producers of the most reliable high-production metalizing systems in the world.
Click here to submit a Request for Quote
or call us today at 877-884-3428